One of our very favorite candy holidays is just around the corner. Do you know what it is? International Chocolate Day, of course! This sweet holiday is Tuesday, September 13!
Making a big deal about this holiday in a variety of ways will create excitement and give chocolate lovers another reason to visit your store. Here are just a few ideas we’ve gathered to help get you started. Have fun with it! And an early Happy International Chocolate Day to you!
- Social media outlets such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram are great tools for communicating fun facts (and photos of your products) about chocolate throughout the day. For example, “Who marketed the first box of chocolate candies?” (Cadbury) or “What year was the first known European encounter with cacao?” (1500 – Christopher Columbus). To help get customers in your store, consider offering a free piece of chocolate for anyone who comes into the store with the correct answer.
- Pitch a story to your local media with a press release about International Chocolate Day and how your store is celebrating it. Use some of the trivia facts above to illustrate that you and your staff are knowledgeable about this subject. Don’t forget to include radio on your list of media!
- If you don’t already give free samples in your store, consider providing free samples of chocolate – and don’t forget to let everyone know you’re doing it through your social media and email outlets.
- Email campaigns are great for special holidays. Consider sending out an email on Monday to remind customers to come in on Wednesday for the great special you’re going to have to celebrate International Chocolate Day.
- A few days leading up to Tuesday, post yard signs around your store or on the street leading up to it that say “Celebrate International Chocolate Day With ABC Store This Tuesday!”. Of course, if you don’t own the building or area where you are located, this tip is dependent upon possible restrictions in your lease so check your agreement first.
If you have other ideas for how you celebrate this holiday, please share them in the comments below!
P.S. RCI will be exhibiting at the Philadelphia National Candy, Gift & Gourmet Show September 11-13. Stop by booth #330 to say hello and learn more about RCI membership and events.
Stay connected with RCI through Facebook for more tips and inspiration dedicated to the retail candy maker. Not a member? Click here to learn how RCI can help you build your sweet business.