Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Tip # 187: Apply the 80/20 Rule to your Marketing Messaging


The Pareto principle is a common rule of thumb in business that suggests 80% of your sales come from 20% of your customer base, as one example. This principle can be applied to many facets of business and marketing, but today we’re going to focus on content marketing that will compel consumers versus repel them.

It may be easy to lean on platforms like email blasts and social media to push product, promote the sale or urge online ordering! Be careful not to inundate your followers with messaging that is purely focused on making the sale. This approach can actually cause followers to lose interest and, perhaps, even mistrust your brand.

You will have better success at building a loyal following of consumers who are genuinely interested in your company, the products you sell and the people who make them, if 80% of your content is devoted to sharing valuable and useful information that helps to weave your brand’s story. Leave the remaining 20% to the sales pitch.

Here’s a few ideas to spark your imagination:

  • Sharing interesting facts about your company history is always a win, especially when paired with a photo.
  • A peek behind the scenes can convey a sense of transparency and makes your company more trustworthy.
  • Add a personal touch by congratulating staff on important milestones, such as employment anniversaries, birthdays, babies, graduations, weddings and etc.
Stay connected with RCI through Facebook for more tips and inspiration dedicated to the retail candy maker. Not a member of RCI? Click here to learn more about how RCI can help your build your sweet business.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your feedback!
RCI will review all comments before posting.